Dundas Mansion, Edinburgh, RBS branch, headquarters, Scotland

Dundas Mansion, Architect, Building, Photo, RBS, William Chambers, Date, Image

Dundas Mansion, Edinburgh : 36 St Andrew Square

Royal Bank of Scotland Branch, St Andrews Square, New Town

Dundas Mansion Edinburgh

RBS Branch)
Sir William Chambers 1774; J Dick Peddie 1857

built to house Sir Laurence Dundas

Looking east down George Street to St Andrew Square, Dundas Mansion is behind the Melville Monument (to Henry Dundas) taking the place of the planned church:
Dundas Mansion Edinburgh
photo © adrian welch

Built axially to George Street, set back off St Andrew’s Square, the Dundas Mansion forms the eastern end point to Edinburgh New Town’s central vista.
Original New Town plans located a church here to mirror St George’s Church (Charlotte Square) at the west end of George Street. Sir Laurence Dundas, however, commisioned Sir William Chambers (architect for Somerset House, London) to build a Palladian town house, completed in 1774.

Dundas Mansion was converted to the Royal Bank of Scotland headquarters. The axial banking hall (Telling Room) by Dick Peddie (1857) has a blue painted dome complete with gold star-shaped coffers.

The Royal Bank of Scotland acquired Dundas Mansion – 36 St Andrew Square – in 1825 for use as their headquarters, and later extended to the rear of the building. Their current HQ is in the building just south of the Bank of Scotland and No. 36 is a branch office.

Next-door, to the south, is a beautiful branch of the Bank of Scotland, the former British Linen Bank, set on the street edge, by David Bryce.

To the north of Dundas Mansion is No.35:

One of the oldest buildings in the New Town, refurbished in 2006-07

Harvey Nichols Edinburgh
photo © adrian welch

To the north of this building is Harvey Nichols

Central to St Andrew Square is the Melville Monument atop which is the stone statue of Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville.

St Andrew Square : buildings
Scottish Provident
photo © Adrian Welch

The Royal Bank of Scotland HQ ceiling is featured on RBS banknotes. The equestrian statue in the Bank’s front garden is of John Hope, 4th Earl of Hopetoun with an inscription by Sir Walter Scott.

The Royal Bank of Scotland was set up by Royal Charter in 1727, unlike the older Bank of Scotland which was established by an Act of the Scottish Parliament (before the Act of Union) in 1695.



To see all projects in Edinburgh on a map please follow this link
 

Buildings close by include:

Jenners
Jenners
photo © Adrian Welch

Register House
General Register House
photo © Adrian Welch

Old College

William Chambers

Royal Bank of Scotland : 42 St Andrew Square

Comments / photos for the Dundas Mansion – 36 St Andrew Square pages welcome: info@edinburgharchitecture.co.uk

Dundas Mansion Building : page

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0