St Martin’s Church, Edinburgh Religious Building Redevelopment, Scotland Architecture

St Martin’s Church Redevelopment

Church Building Renovation – design by Ian Springford Architects

16 Jan 2014

Magdalene Drive Church Development

Design: Ian Springford Architects

Location: Magdalene Drive, Edinburgh

Ian Springford Architects have completed work on the redevelopment of St Martin’s Church at Magdalene Drive in Edinburgh.

St Martin's Church 1

The project, developed by Cruden Homes and built by Hart Builders, involved the demolition of the Church’s existing 1950′s building and the creation of a new, smaller bespoke hall that better suited the congregations needs. The remaining land was developed to create 11 terraced two and three bedroom houses and 12 one and two bedroom apartments for Port of Leith Housing Association.

St Martin's Church 5

The flats and houses have been designed to meet the very latest environmental standards. The buildings are highly insulated, exceeding the current statutory minimum levels and achieve very high levels of air tightness. The timber windows are triple glazed to reduce heat loss and energy. High efficiency condensing gas boilers have been installed in all flats and houses. Photovoltaic panels on the roof of the Church generate electricity from the sun to power lighting and heat in the building.

The development is unified through the use of a limited palette of materials. A multi-hued brick gives the whole development a more intimate scale with the colour variation giving richness to the otherwise simple forms.




Scottish Church

Rosslyn Chapel
Rosslyn Chapel
picture from architect

Edinburgh Church Buildings – Selection:

St Peter’s Church
St Peter's Church interior
photograph : Keith Hunter

Tron Kirk
Tron Kirk Edinburgh
photo © Adrian Welch




St Andrews & St Georges Church
St Andrews & St Georges Church
photo © Adrian Welch

West Register House
West Register House
photo © Adrian Welch

Comments / photos for the St Martin’s Church, Edinburgh page welcome

St Martin’s Church, Edinburgh Building : page