Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church, Edinburgh, Photos, Building Renewal, Location, Image

Broughton St Mary’s Edinburgh

Bellevue Crescent Church, Edinburgh, Scotland – renewal design by Benjamin Tindall Architects

Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church

Location: 12 Bellevue Crescent, Broughton, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH3 6NE

Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Edinburgh Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Extension Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Building
photos © Keith Hunter

Contact Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church: 0131 556 7313

28 Jul 2010

Design : Benjamin Tindall Architects

Broughton St Mary’s Church

The rejuvenation of one Edinburgh’s finest Burgh Kirks has been achieved by excavating a flowing stair out of the foundations, linking new facilities with the sanctuary above.

Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Edinburgh Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Extension Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Building
photos © Keith Hunter

The excavations for the stair included a sinuous corridor, lined with pinboard, and off it capacious toilets and a lift.

To the rear, a light and airy semi-circular Garden Room has been provided with doors all round, and a shallow conical zinc roof and skylight.

The Garden Room has its own external access to the garden, planted with Manna Ash.

Sensitive repairs to the portico, masonry, roof and spire were also carried out.

Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Broughton St Mary's Parish Church Edinburgh
photos © Keith Hunter

Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church images / information from Benjamin Tindall Architects

Broughton St Mary’s is an active and friendly Church of Scotland parish church in the heart of Edinburgh. They offer a number of different forms of worship to suit everyone. They also have a number of groups and activities throughout the week for people of all ages.

The site for the Church was decided upon on 11 September 1822 as part of Edinburgh’s New Town development. The architect was Thomas Brown who was Superintendent of City Works for Edinburgh and designed many streets in the city as well as major commissions such as Trinity House in Leith. The Church was opened for public worship on 12 December 1824, although the spire was not finished until the following year and the clock was installed in 1826.

Originally known as the Bellevue Church and then named St Mary’s Parish Church, it became Broughton St Mary’s in 1992 as a result of the union with Broughton McDonald Church.

source: Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church Edinburgh




Edinburgh Architecture

Benjamin Tindall Architects – The Hub, Edinburgh

Historic building close to St Cuthbert’s Church:
St Johns Church

Scottish Architecture: best Scottish Buildings of the last three decades

Edinburgh Tours : Architecture Walking Tours




Edinburgh Churches

Featured Edinburgh Area Religious Buildings:
Rosslyn Chapel, St Giles Cathedral & St Mary’s Cathedral

Scottish Church

Also in Edinburgh, but not in the city centre: St Cuthbert’s Episcopal Church
Date: 1889
Location: Colinton
Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson

Comments / photos for the Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church Edinburgh Architecture – Bellevue Crescent Building page welcome

Broughton St Mary’s Parish Church Building : page[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]