Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, PFI Architecture, Building, Architect, Project, Images
Royal Infirmary Edinburgh : Information + Images
New Scottish Hospital, Little France, Craigmillar, Scotland by Keppie
New Royal Infirmary Edinburgh : Information + Images
ERI: photo from keppie architects
Address: 51 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH16 4SA
Phone: 0131 536 1000
New Royal Infirmary, Petit France, south-east Edinburgh
1996-2002 Keppie Design (Glasgow)
This Private Finance Initiative (PFI) hospital / teaching complex at Little France below Craigmillar Castle comprises 120,000 square metres of floor area, accomodating 869 beds and 24 operating theatres with support facilities. Begun in 1996, the £150m project was completed in 2002.
New Royal Infirmary architects : Keppie Design
The New Royal Infirmary hospital approx. cost: £184m
Plans for a £400m redevelopment of the old Edinburgh Royal Infirmary site, at Lauriston Place, with buildings up to ten storeys high were submitted by the developers Southside Capital to the City of Edinburgh Council in April 2003. Edinburgh City Council Planning considered Southside Capital's Royal Infirmary Redevelopment Application on 10 April 2003 and rejected it.
The New Edinburgh Royal Infirmary opened in January 2002. Located south of Edinburgh, at Little France off the Old Dalkeith Road (A7) the site will also house the new University of Edinburgh Medical School.
The New Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was designed in line with the City of Edinburgh Council’s Green Transport Policy. New bus routes linking Little France with Edinburgh's centre were created plus Park and Ride facilities. Phase 1 was the creation of The Medical School and NHS Trust. Phase 2, Apr-Jun 2003, involved the relocation of all staff & equipment from the Old Royal Infirmary at Lauriston Place and existing Edinburgh University assets to the main hospital building and the Chancellor’s Building.
The Chancellor’s Building includes teaching facilities - two auditoria and seven seminar rooms - student microlabs and video conference capabilities. There are five dry labs, a library and a Clinical Teaching Resource Centre.