Fettes Row Offices, Image, Building, Architect, Project, Images, Design, Info
Fettes Row Offices, Edinburgh
New Town Buildings, Scotland
Fettes Row Office Building
Fettes Row : Flats
photograph from store PR
The Church at the end of Fettes Row is St Stephen’s by William Playfair
3 April 2015 – The Royal Bank of Scotland is to close four offices in the Capital and move thousands of staff out to its headquarters at Gogarburn, report the Edinburgh Evening News.
The closures will affect the Dundas Street and Fettes Row site, where an estimated 2000 employees are currently based; the Younger building at Edinburgh Park; an annexe behind the old RBS headquarters building in St Andrew Square; and the Gemini building on the other side of St Andrew Square.
No job losses are planned as part of the relocation.
The bank said the moves, due to take place in stages over the next 18 months, would see the number of staff at Gogarburn double from the current 3000 to around 6000.
source: e: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/rbs-to-shut-four-edinburgh-offices-1-3737563#ixzz4E5IysmJw
Fettes Row : Reiach and Hall + Oberlanders terraces
photograph : Michael Wolchover
The low-lying land of Silvermills and Canonmills proved an impediment to the further northern extension of the New Town.
In the 19th century the area was best known for its great tannery. This together with other industries colonised the lands which until recently were considered uneconomic to develop.
Silvermills was incorporated into Edinburgh in 1809 by a Local Act of Parliament Extending the Royalty.
In 1835 architect George Smith erected St Stephen’s School in St.Stephen’s Street, which street was laid out in 1825. At the end of this street was a large skating rink designed in 1895 but converted into a theatre five years later. It then became a ballroom which burned down to be replaced by flats in the style of the surrounding Georgian architecture.
All but Silvermills House itself was redeveloped by 1997, as part of a Council plan for the area. The western side is largely housing. The main estate is by Cala Homes. The eastern section contains a two-storey workshop.
Although redeveloped the medieval routes of both East and West Silvermills Lane were preserved in their entirety. The former steep dog-leg link from the east lane to Fettes Row was removed c.2000 when a new office block was built but a public pedestrian route still exists under the building.
Fettes Row offices – Michael Laird Architects
Eyre Place housing
picture from the architect
National Library of Scotland
photo © Adrian Welch
Comments / photos for the Fettes Row Offices page welcome
Fettes Row Offices – page[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]