Cammo Meadows by CALA Homes, Edinburgh Housing, Scottish Property Development News
Cammo Meadows by CALA Homes Development
6 December 2021
Beloved house style makes a comeback at Cammo
A style of housing intrinsic to the Scottish capital is launching at a development in a sought-after suburb.
Cammo Meadows by CALA Homes (East) is the latest destination for the developer’s reimagining of the traditional Edinburgh colony model, which consists of a ground floor apartment with two duplex homes above it, accessed by an external staircase.
First built in 1850, the house style features throughout the city with many becoming among Edinburgh’s most sought-after postcodes.
Famed for their community feel and use of space, CALA first offered its modern interpretation of the style at its Waterfront Plaza development in Leith, with the homes selling in a matter of weeks.
It is hoped the style will be as popular at Cammo Meadows, a thriving development located off Maybury Road and near to Cramond and Barnton.
CALA has now launched a “view home” within the ground floor of a colony – which is available to view by appointment.
David Smith, Architectural Manager at CALA Homes, played a role in the design of CALA’s reimagining of the historic design.
He said: “We’ve been able to take the best elements of an iconic building design and modernise them into a contemporary style
“It was important that the traditional aspects of colony housing be adopted within the building design whilst embracing more modern forms of construction.
“The duplexes have a brilliant flow, with the top floor living space integrated with the roof terrace, while the ground floor is very spacious, offering both a large family kitchen area and lounge.”
The masterplan for Cammo Meadows place the Colonies at the very heart of the new neighbourhood, interacting with the key landscape corridor that connect the development to the Cammo Estate.
Philip Hogg, Sales and Marketing Director with CALA Homes (East), said: “It’s important to us that we build communities reflective of our surrounds, with a wide mix of homes and buyers.
“The colonies allow us to tap into a treasured style of home that are loved for the way in which they foster communities.
“Between the duplex and the ground floor apartments, they can offer something to buyers from all backgrounds, whether young professionals, downsizers or families looking for more space than many city apartments.”
The characteristic external staircase leading to the upper-level homes are famed for being sociable spaces in the established colony communities of Edinburgh. These new homes feature these staircases, providing buyers with an attractive area that can be personalised with planters and ornaments.
The outside space is bolstered further with a private top floor terrace for the owners of the upper homes.
Homes at Cammo Meadows are built to deliver on the demands of 21st Century family life, with high specification throughout as standard. As well as the colonies, the development offers apartments, terraced and detached homes.
The new homes neighbour the 80-acre Cammo Estate, a Wilderness Park formed from an abandoned country estate. The development protects and celebrates the views to the 19th Century Cammo Tower.
For more information, or to register interest in Cammo Meadows, please visit: https://www.cala.co.uk/homes-for-sale/scotland/edinburgh/cammo-meadows-edinburgh/
● CALA Homes, part of the CALA Group, is a major UK home builder focused on building well-designed, high quality homes in prime locations throughout the South of England, the Midlands and Scotland.
● CALA started as the City of Aberdeen Land Association in 1875 and was the first Scottish company listed on the London Stock Market. As CALA is an acronym it is always reproduced in upper case.
● CALA Homes and its sister company, Legal & General Homes, are subsidiaries of Legal & General Capital, the early-stage investment arm of Legal & General Group.
● In 2020 CALA sold 1,835 homes, resulting in a turnover of £713.0 million and profit before tax (before exceptional items and revaluations) of £24.4 million.
● CALA Group employs 1,200 people across 9 offices and has 75 live developments at any time.
● CALA was awarded the maximum 5 Star rating in the Home Builders Federation’s National New Homes Customer Satisfaction Survey 2021, for the fourth year running. The independent survey found that more than 95% of our customers would recommend CALA to a friend.
● In 2019, CALA was named Home Builder of the Year at the Homes for Scotland Awards. In 2020, CALA was awarded Housebuilder of the Year at the Scottish Home Awards.
● CALA is proud to have Samaritans as its national charity partner. CALA’s support will help to ensure that Samaritans can continue to be there for anyone who is struggling to cope. In turn, Samaritans provides training to help equip CALA’s staff – as well as employees of its subcontractors – with the skills to take care of their own wellbeing and that of their colleagues
● CALA has made a commitment to help fight the effects of climate change on the planet by:
o Building homes that are operationally net zero carbon by 2030
o Reaching net zero greenhouse gas emissions in line with the Scottish Government’s 2045 target and ahead of UK Government’s 2050 target
For further information visit www.cala.co.uk
Comments for this Cammo Meadows by CALA Homes, article are welcome.
Recent Edinburgh Property Developments
West Town – Vision Unveiled for New Edinburgh Neighbourhood
image courtesy of architects practice
West Town Edinburgh Property Vision
Rowanbank Gardens Edinburgh Housing
construction photo courtesy of developers
Rowanbank Gardens Edinburgh Housing
Edinburgh Property Developments
Architecture Developments in the Central Belt
Buildings / photos for the Cammo Meadows by CALA Homes page welcome