Hope Terrace Property, South Edinburgh Flats, Grange conservation area homes, Building, Housing
Hope Terrace, Edinburgh : The Grange Architecture
Former SNH building, The Grange, Edinburgh design by Oberlanders Architects
25 Jun 2007
Hope Terrace building, The Grange
Design: Oberlanders Architects
Oberlanders Architects has recently gained planning consent for a development of 17 flats in the Grange conservation area, Edinburgh.
Hope Terrace The Grange
From 1950 up until last year, the site was occupied by Scottish Natural Heritage who has now vacated the site to move to its new award winning headquarters building, Great Glen House, Inverness.
The large private house that Scottish Natural Heritage bought in 1950 had been built in 1854 as the family home for Benjamin Hall Blyth and was one of the first villas built in the Grange. Blyth was the founder of the family firm Blyth & Blyth, Civil Engineers. After Blyth’s death the house changed hands and passed through the hands of a series of private owners until it became the offices of SNH.
Oberlanders Architects’ proposal includes the conversion of this original house into four large apartments whilst retaining as much as possible of the original features and internal spatial relationships. A 1960s office wing on the site is due to be demolished and replaced by a new block containing 12 apartments for sale. A new mews house replaces the existing garage.
With the planning application in place, Scottish Natural Heritage intends to put the property on the market and pass it on to a suitable developer. This will ensure that SNH can vacate the site with the knowledge that the form of development approved respects the essential characteristics of the site and that, in their role as a public body with certain civic responsibilities, they will safeguard the future use of the site and leave a carefully considered heritage behind.
Oberlanders Architects – Hope Terrace building information 25 Jun 2007
Comments / photos for the Hope Terrace Property, Edinburgh page welcome