Bank interior image from Malcolm Fraser Architects
HBOS, The Mound, Edinburgh
Completion: May 2006
Photographer: Paul Zanre Photography
Client: HBOS plc
Architect: Malcolm Fraser Architects
Contractor: Sir Robert McAlpine
Project Manager: Faithful & Gould
Structural Engineer: SKM Anthony Hunts
Quantity Surveyor: David Adamson & Partners
Service Engineer: Harley Haddow
Lighting Design: Spiers & Major Associates
Landscape Architect: City Design Co-Operative and Malcolm Fraser Architects
Stonework Restoration: Bob Heath
Museum Design: Studio SP Ltd
Acoustic Design: New Acoustics
Entrance Hall; Public Exhibition; Office space
Promising quality of landscape element, simple & refined; remember most of the work is inside but the understated design outside augurs well and while there are no sheds on the property that are visible, we suspect an army of gardeners and landscapers is needed to tend to the area.
"Following the merger of the Halifax Building Society and the Bank of Scotland MFA has been appointed for a major refurbishment of the Bank of Scotland Headquarters in Edinburgh.
Malcolm Fraser Architects are delighted to be involved in this major project which is highly significant both in terms of the historical and iconic nature of the building.
The architectural ambition of the scheme is to 'rediscover' the imposing sequence of original internal spaces created by David Bryce in 1864-71. This is achieved by opening up the original great hall to create a grand focus for the building and has the potential to be one of Edinburgh's most magnificent spaces.
High quality restoration of the historical fabric of the building accompanied by quality modern spaces and materials where appropriate will create a fresh and comfortable environment for working and entertaining. Externally a new terrace will enable the building to engage with the surrounding cityscape in a new and exiting way. The result will be a world class headquarters building grounded in its rich historical qualities and ambitious in its modern intentions." Info from MFA.
image by Malcolm Fraser Architects
"City Design Co-operative are working with MFA on the redesign of the east and west gardens and the external terraces of the HBOS Headquarters on the Mound in Edinburgh. Exploratory works to map and record the root locations of important trees is currently being carried out to avoid damage during construction works".
issued Sep 2004 by City Design Co-operative
Bank of Scotland, St Andrew's Square Building by David Bryce
The Bank of Scotland, The Mound, Edinburgh:
Robert Reid & Richard Crichton 1802-06; David Bryce 1862
The Bank of Scotland Headquarters stands on Edinburgh's Mound looking down over East Princes Street Gardens. The HQ Building was initiated while Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville (1742 - 1811), was Governor of the Bank. The Bank Headquarters was built by architects Robert Reid (1774 - 1856) and Richard Crichton. David Bryce (1803 - 76) refurbished the Interior in 1862 and added new domed wings with a grand replacement central dome. The Bank of Scotland Headquarters were remodelled again in 1929 and 1981.
Established by an Act of the Scottish Parliament in 1695, the Bank of Scotland is the oldest surviving UK clearing bank. The Bank started in Edinburgh's Old Town, at Old Bank Close in the Lawnmarket, before relocating to the Mound. The Bank of Scotland merged with the Halifax Building Society in 2001, becoming HBoS Plc, a group with assets approaching £300 billion, but the Bank's headquarters remain in Edinburgh. Since 1987 the Bryce building has included a banking museum.