Jenners, Shop, Phone, Address, Photo, Building, Location, New Town
Jenners Department Store, Edinburgh
Luxury Scottish Department Store, Princes St, Edinburgh, Scotland
Jenners began life as a shop at 47 Princes Street in 1838 and is Edinburgh’s most famous Department StoreAddress: Jenners Department Store, 48 Princes Street, Edinburgh
Contact Jenners Department Store: 0131 225 2442
Location: Princes St, New Town
Victorian Department Store, often described as the Harrods of the North, Category A, with a three-storey hall similar to Liberty’s in London:
Jenners’ complex Victorian facades terminate at street level with wonderful brass base plates to the street windows complete with embossed lettering. The interior needs a complete remodelling to bring consistency and quality to areas such as toilet lobbies and escalators. Despite the arrival of Harvey Nix, Jenners is still seen as one of the best Department Stores in Scotland.
Charles Jenner and Charles Kennington took over the lease of 47 Princes Street in 1838, “Kennington & Jenner” started.
Their ambition was to provide the people of Edinburgh with the finest of silks and linens, which at the time were available only in the great fashion houses of London.
By 1860 the store had subsumed 48 Princes Street, and 2,4,6 & 8 South St. David’s Street.
By 1890 Charles Jenner & Co. had expanded to 49 Princes Street, and added 10,12,14 & 16 South St. David’s Street. The building had been purchased by Charles Jenner with the store now being the largest shop in Scotland.
On Sat 26 Nov 1892, fire destroyed the store. The Jenners factory on Rose Street was therefore adapted into a temporary store.
William Hamilton Beattie was engaged in 1893 as the architect and work begins on the new Jenners store. Although retired, Jenner personally takes the greatest interest in the project.
Charles Jenner died in Oct 1893 and sadly never sees the store reopen. A codicil in his will bequeaths £8,000 towards the external decorations of the building including the provision of caryatides (Grecian feminine figures carved into columns) intended to show symbolically that women were the support of the business.
The new Jenners store is formally re-opened Wed 8 Mar 1895. The building is ahead of its time for Scotland, with electrical lighting, hydraulic lifts and air conditioning.
The old Edinburgh Stock Exchange is bought in 1903 and rebuilt as part of the store, extending it up to Rose Street.
The Jenners store underwent further extension in 1922, taking the frontage to 52 Princes Street.
In 1962 the property on the south side of Rose Street was demolished, including the notorious Crane’s Bar, and a modern building erected on the site.
A refurbishment programme occurred in 2002 culminating in the unveiling of new windows along Princes Street, returned to the 1895 design.
48 Princes Street
photos © Adrian Welch
Contact Jenners Department Store, Edinburgh:
+44 (0)131 225 2442 fax +44 (0)131 260 2240
Check with Jenners re store opening times, at time of writing as follows:
Mon 9am – 6pm
Tue 9.30am – 6pm
Wed 9am – 6pm
Thu 9am – 8pm
Fri 9am – 6pm
Sat 9am – 6pm
Sun 11am – 5pm
There are (at time of writing) two other Jenners stores in Scotland:
Jenners, Loch Lomond Shores
Loch Lomond Shores
Ben Lomond Way
Contact Jenners Loch Lomond Shores:
+44 (0)1389 722200
Contact Jenners Glasgow Airport
+44 (0)141 848 4662
Jenners Edinburgh: Shop Refurbishment
In Aug 2002 the old Jenners windows & entry were significantly improved.The architects were Michael Laird Architects
Jenners context : Ramada Mount Royal
Jenners Store Refurbishment architect : Michael Laird Architects
Buildings / photos for the Princes Street Architecture page welcome
Jenners Edinburgh : page