St Andrews & St Georges Church, Edinburgh, Photo, Architect, Building, History
St Andrew’s & St George’s Church : Architecture
George Street Church : New Town, Edinburgh, Scotland
St Andrew’s & St George’s Church Edinburgh
Date of completion: 1782-84
Architect: Major Andrew Frazer
Address: 13 George St
Parish Church of St Andrew and St George, 13 George Street, EH2 2PA
Former St Andrew’s Church
Oldest bells in Scotland
St Andrew’s & St George’s Church sits on the north side of George Street and due to its eliptical plan, creates space back from the street – either side of the central portico – that is unusual on this street, reminiscent of Bernini’s beautiful S.Andrea in Rome. The church’s steeple was added three years after completion.
St Andrew’s & St George’s was the first centre of Christian worship in Edinburgh New Town. The church was built by Edinburgh City Council to his oval design. The spire was added in 1787.
It 1843, the Disruption of the Church of Scotland took place in St Andrew’s & St George’s Edinburgh and involved Tanfield Hall too.
Contact: 0131 225 3847
St Andrew’s & St George’s Church: Context
Situated to the north of Princes Street, George Street is the centre of the city’s financial district. Laid out from 1767 as part of James Craig’s plan for the New Town, George Street was named in honour of King George III. James Craig’s plan for the New Town positioned a church in St Andrew Square, facing along George Street. However, when Sir Laurence Dundas took that site for his mansion – now the Royal Bank of Scotland HQ, a competition was held to design a church for the present site, on the north side of George Street.
The street links Charlotte Square with St. Andrew’s Square and is the site of several notable buildings:-
Assembly Rooms (1787)
St Andrew & St George’s Church (1784)
St Mark’s Unitarian Church by David Bryce, (1835)
Dome bar and nightclub (1847)
Opposite the Church is The Dome, George Street, by David Rhind, 1847. Former branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland on south side of George Street – now a bar like many old banks on this street – The Dome contains, suitably for the name, a large stained glass dome. The bank’s old facade is a well-proportioned portico.
To the east along George Street is Standard Life Assurance, Edinburgh by J M Dick Peddie and George Washington Browne.
Churches to Visit in Scotland Book
Featured Edinburgh Area Religious Buildings:
photo © Adrian Welch
picture from the architect
Comments / photos for the St Andrews & St Georges Church Architecture pages welcome
St Andrews & St Georges Church Building : page