Royal High School, Edinburgh, Building, Photo, Architect, Date, History, Picture
Royal High School Edinburgh : Architecture + Images
School : Calton Hill, Edinburgh, Scotland – design by Thomas Hamilton
Royal High School
Location: north side of Regent Road, just east of city centre
The Royal High School is one of the key Scottish examples of Enlightenment Architecture along with the National Monument behind it on Calton Hill.
25 Mar 2009
CEC design competition inviting developers to submit proposals for the former Royal High School building. the Development Brief suggests it could be turned into a hotel, restaurant and tourist centre.
The charity Hill Adamson Trust has now withdrawn its lottery bid for the National Photography Centre proposal. CEC have transferred the £1m funding allocation for the photography centre into its capital projects budget.
Royal High School context : Calton Hill
The School is a potent symbol for Scots, esp. Nationalists as it was set to hold the Debating Chamber when Scotland had its first independence referendum in the 70’s; the building is generally held in high esteem.
Former Royal High School pupils include Robert Adam, Bell, Boswell and Scott.
Royal High School architect: Thomas Hamilton
Royal High School Edinburgh – Description:
Located on the southern edge of Calton Hill, the Royal High School of Edinburgh was designed by Thomas Hamilton and built in 1825-9. By that time Edinburgh’s New Town was well advanced and this was the only suitable site left. The Greek Doric columns are based on the Temple of Theseus, overlooking Athens.
After the school had moved to modern accommodation towards the end of the 20th century, the large oval main hall was set up as a debating chamber for a projected Scottish Assembly in the late 1970s but that did not materialise. The school was again considered as the site for the new Scottish Parliament in 1999, but was rejected in favour of a new buuilding on a site in Holyrood.
Sir Walter Scott was a former Royal High School pupil in its former location in the Old Town. The Royal High School has been based at four different sites. The building now occupied by the Department of Archaeology was built by Alexander Laing in 1777. James Pillans invented the blackboard and coloured chalks at the High School.
By 1820 the Royal High School’s space had become insufficient for growing population, and, with the New Town development, there was a new and redefined catchment area. The Royal High School in 1829 relocated to the south side of Calton Hill. In 1832 the former school building re-opened as a Surgical Hospital, in which the University of Edinburgh held its Anatomy classes (Lister worked here between 1869 and 1877).
The Royal High School is currently located in Barnton on the west edge of Edinburgh: www.royalhigh.edin.sch.uk
Royal High School Edinburgh – Redevelopment:
Proposals are afoot at the time of writing for a Scottish National Photography Centre (or ‘Scottish Museum of Photography’) in the the former Royal High School. In Sep 2004 Sony UK Ltd’s sponsorship of the Scottish National Photography Centre was announced – planned to be located in the former Royal High School site.
Royal High School Edinburgh – Educational History:
Royal High School: Thomas Hamilton – Scottish Architect
News Excerpt from 2002 re the Royal High School:
Royal High School: National Centre of Photography
To see all projects in Edinburgh on a map please follow this link
Royal High School pupil : former pupil Robert Adam
Another Thomas Hamilton project in Edinburgh: George IV Bridge
Buildings / photos for the Royal High School Architecture page welcome
Royal High School Edinburgh Building : page