How to find best student accommodation in Edinburgh tips, Lothian students halls guide
How To Find The Best Student Accommodation In Edinburgh?
15 September 2022
If you’re moving to Edinburgh for university, then you’re probably looking forward to the new experience. But if you’ve never lived away from home before, finding somewhere to live can be a stressful thing. You must find good accommodation: it’s where you’ll spend most of your time during your studies and it can help make or break your first year at university. This guide will take you through some tips on how to find the best student accommodation in Edinburgh so that when it is the right time to move out into student halls or flats, you’ll know exactly what to look for!
Know What You Want
Before you start looking for accommodation in Edinburgh, it’s important to have a precise idea of what you want from your living situation. You’ll need to think about:
- What are your priorities? Do you want to live with friends or on your own? Are you looking for a house or a flat? Do you want to be close to the city centre, or further out?
- What kind of house would suit me best? Is it important that I have my room and bathroom, or will communal living be fine with me (within reason)? Does size matter when it comes down to square footage versus price tag per month/year/semester etc.
Think About Your Budget
Before you start looking for accommodation, take a moment to think about your budget.
- What is your budget? Your budget will be the most important factor in choosing where you live while studying in Edinburgh. Are there any other costs of living that might affect your finances? The cost of renting a room or flat varies dramatically depending on where it is located and how much space it contains—so think about whether proximity to the campus is more important than size when considering different properties.
- Are there any additional costs associated with finding student accommodation in London? If so, these should be taken into account when working out what kind of place will suit your needs and allow for an affordable monthly rent payment
Don’t Forget To Read The Contracts
It is important to read the contract. This will help you understand what you are committing to and whether it is right for you. It is also important not to sign anything without reading it first as this can lead to problems later on.
Make sure you read all of the small print when renting accommodation in Edinburgh. In some cases, landlords may claim that they don’t have insurance or a licence if they do not want tenants living on their property because they are discriminatory against certain groups of people.
Visit Properties Before You Commit To Renting
When you visit a property in person, you can determine if it’s the right place for you. Some things to consider are:
- Condition of the property
- Maintenance issues
It Can Be Hard Finding Somewhere To Live As A Student But It Can Also Be Easy If You Know How!
First of all, make sure that you know what you want. Do you want an ensuite room or a shared bathroom? If it’s your first time renting, then we recommend getting all of this sorted before looking for somewhere to live. It’ll save time and effort later on down the line!
Next up: budgeting! There are some great deals when it comes to student accommodation in Edinburgh but they won’t always be at the top end of your budget range so don’t think that just because something looks cheap, then it is cheap!
Finally visit properties before committing – and make sure all roommates/flatmates go too! Don’t sign anything until everyone has been given ample chance to look around the property.
So there you have it! If you want to find the best student accommodation in Edinburgh, then there are several things you can do. First of all, think about your budget and what it will allow for. Then consider what your priorities are when it comes to renting a property. Finally, make sure that any contract you sign is clear and easy to understand so there will be no surprises down the road!
Comments on this guide to How to find best student accommodation in Edinburgh tips – Lothian students halls advice article are welcome.
Rowanbank Gardens, Corstorphine
Rowanbank Gardens Edinburgh Housing
West Town Vision
image courtesy of architects practice
West Town Edinburgh Property Vision
Comments / photos for the How to find best student accommodation in Edinburgh tips, Lothian students halls advice page welcome