Thistle Street Edinburgh New Town, Historic Building Photo, Homes, Scottish Architecture
Thistle Street Buildings
Old Houses in Central Edinburgh: New Town Architecture: Historic Properties in South East Scotland
The oldest houses in Edinburgh New Town:
Thistle Street Edinburgh
Thistle Street restaurant – Fishers in the City
photo © Adrian Welch
+44 (0)131 225 5109
Other restaurants in this street include at the time of writing (July 2016):
The Bon Vivant + The Bon Vivant’s Companion (owned by The Devil’s Advocate – Bar & Kitchen)
Dusit Thai Restaurant
El Cartel Mexicana Cantena (also owned by The Devil’s Advocate – Bar & Kitchen)
Café St Honoré
The New Town is a central area of Edinburgh. It is a masterpiece of city planning, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995.
It was built between 1767 and around 1850, and retains much of the original neo-classical and Georgian period architecture. This street is located within the first New Town: Phase One was finished in 1820, with the completion of Charlotte Square. A design competition in 1766 was won by 26-year-old James Craig.
The principal street was named George Street, after the king, George III. Queen Street was to be located to the north, named after his wife, and Princes Street to the south.
St. Andrew’s Square and St. George’s Square were the names chosen to represent the union of Scotland and England. The idea was continued with the smaller Thistle Street (for Scotland’s national emblem) north of George Street and Rose Street (for England’s emblem) south of George Street.
The westernmost blocks of Thistle St were renamed Hill Street and Young Street, making it half the length of Rose Street.
Key buildings close by:
Harvey Nichols Edinburgh New Town
photograph from store PR
photo © Adrian Welch
Mansfield Traquair Centre Building
photo from Mansfield Traquair Centre
Royal College of Physicians
image © Adrian Welch
Dublin Street Lane Housing
photo from the architect
Comments / photos for the Thistle Street Edinburgh Architecture – Historic Properties in the Scottish Capital page welcome