Augustine United Church Edinburgh Photo, George IV Bridge Building History, Architect, Location, Image
Augustine Church Edinburgh Architecture
Historic Church on George IV Bridge in the Old Town, Edinburgh, South East Scotland, UK
post updated 30 December 2021
Augustine Bristo Congregational Church
Date built: 1857-61
Architects: JMW & JM Hay
Address: George IV Bridge
Location: 41 George IV Bridge, Old Town
Augustine United Church is a United Reformed Church in Edinburgh. It is in a local ecumenical partnership with St Columba’s-by-the-Castle (Scottish Episcopal Church) and Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland Kirk (Church of Scotland).
The congregation began in 1802 in the Old Town area and had a chapel in Chambers Street. The congregation outgrew the chapel, and in 1855 it was demolished to make way for the Industrial Museum of Scotland.
The present building at 41 George IV Bridge was started in 1857 and completed in 1861. Its architecture is a freestyle mixture of Romanesque, Renaissance and Classical features topped by a three-tiered tower.
It was made a Category B listed building in 1970. The building was renamed the Augustine Church Centre after a renovation and upgrade.
Community, music, political and religious groups hold meetings and events in the centre throughout the week. It is located around the middle of George IV Bridge, where the it crosses the historic Cowgate: a number of bars and restaurants and takeaways, as well as the ESL institute Wallace College, are located around it.
More info on this Scottish religious building is very welcome.
Augustine Bristo Congregational Church context : George IV Bridge
Building close by to north:
National Library of Scotland
image © Adrian Welch
Buildings close to Augustine Church Edinburgh include:
Museum of Scotland
photograph © Adrian Welch
Royal Mile Edinburgh : buildings
St Andrews & St Georges Church
photo © Adrian Welch
St Mary’s Cathedral
picture from the architect
Hotel Missoni – located on the corner of the Royal Mile and George IV Bridge.
Comments / photos for the Augustine Church Architecture page welcome