George IV Bridge Edinburgh Buildings Photos, Architects, Scottish Old Town History, Architecture Images
George IV Bridge Edinburgh
Historic Old Town Buildings off Royal Mile: Photographs, Lothian, South East Scotland
28 Feb 2016 – new photograph of this George IV Bridge building taken by architect Adrian Welch:
National Library of Scotland
Dates built: 1934-39; 1950-55
Design: Reginald Fairle Architect; A.R.Conlon Architect
National Library Edinburgh building
George IV Bridge
Edinburgh Library building
photo © Adrian Welch 2006
Rezidor SAS hotel group (a subsidiary of SAS Group – Radisson Hotels) is to be the operator of the 136 bed hotel.
architects: Allan Murray; developers: Kilmartin Property Group
Construction is due to commence in 2006 for completion in 2008.
Brodie’s Close, 302-304 Lawnmarket / 59-63 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh:
Mixed-use development with hotel, bars, restaurant, retail, bank, leisure facilities and associated ancillary offices, services and parking. Submitted for planning 2005.
This development was controversial at inception but like many new buildings in the city centre it is not really much commented on anymore, however no doubt some may still fee it doesn’t fit in with its scale and clean styling. It was even nominated for a Carbuncle Cup Award, a prize run by Building Design magazine in London (BD).
George IV Bridge building, now demolished : Lothian Regional Rouncil HQ
Date built: 1968
Design: Robert Matthew Johnson-Marshall & Partners (RMJM)
south facade detail photo © Adrian Welch
A rather severe building that didn’t really chime with the surrounding sandstone buildings, especially the narrow-feued Royal Mile buildings. Mick Duncan was an architect on the building and the author talked with him about it around 2003 whilst working on the Scottish Parliament Building (a joint design by EMBT and RMJM).
Augustine Church – George IV Bridge building
View from outside Edinburgh Library looking south down the road towards Augustine Church:
photo © Adrian Welch 2006
Building opposite the site for Missoni Hotel building:
Advocates Library Edinburgh
main facade – photo © Adrian Welch
The Advocates Library was founded in 1682. It is the law library of the Faculty of Advocates, in Edinburgh. It served as the national deposit library of Scotland until 1925, at which time through an Act of Parliament was created the National Library of Scotland. All the non-legal collections were given to the National Library. It alone of the Scottish libraries still holds the privilege of receiving a copy of every law book entered at Stationers’ Hall.
Allan Murray Architects – Edinburgh design office
A major piece of architecture just to the north of this street, across the Royal Mile:
HBOS HQ on The Mound
photo © Adrian Welch
HBOS plc is a banking and insurance company in the UK, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Lloyds Banking Group. It was taken over in 2009.
Although officially HBOS is widely assumed to stand for Halifax Bank of Scotland. The corporate headquarters of the group were located on The Mound in Edinburgh, Scotland, the former head office of the Bank of Scotland. Operational headquarters were based in Halifax, West Yorkshire, England, the former head office of Halifax.
George IV Bridge restaurant : The Outsider Bar & Restaurant
Seventh Day Adventist Church Bristo Place
photograph © Adrian Welch
George IV Bridge context – Royal Mile Edinburgh
George IV Bridge Architect : Thomas Hamilton
Comments / photos for the George IV Bridge Architecture page welcome