South City Symposium Edinburgh, Talks, Architecture, Lectures
South City Symposium, Edinburgh : Architecture
Architecture Event : Modernist Urbanism in the Southern Hemisphere
1 Jan 2009
Docomomo – Edinburgh College of Art – University of Edinburgh
Modernist Urbanism in the Southern Hemisphere: Past, Present, Future
January 22-23, 2009
The ‘South City’ Symposium seeks to provoke a stimulating interaction between the heritage and future of modernist urbanism in the southern hemisphere. Organized jointly by Docomomo International Committee on Urbanism Landscape, the Scottish Centre for Conservation Studies (ECA) and the University of Edinburgh, it brings together a range of experts on urbanism in South America, Africa and Southern Asia, together with a range of original films, to pose the question of what contribution the considerable legacy of modernist planning and architecture, dating mainly from the postwar years, can make to the challenges of the vastly expanded urban growth of the C21.
The event opens on the evening of Thursday 22 January with a keynote address at ECA by Frederico de Holanda (Universidade de Brasília, Faculdade de Arquitetura e Urbanismo), one of the foremost experts on the history and development of the Brazilian capital, focusing on how its revolutionary utopian design concept, with all its myths and its vernacular life, has fared in the decades since its initial launch.
Prof. Holanda will also be contributing a research paper to the all-day session at University of Edinburgh Architecture on Friday 23 January, along with Edinburgh-based international experts on the Modernist city in South America, Africa and Asia: the 23 January session will also, appropriately, be the venue for the launch of a new Docomomo International liaison group, chaired by Ola Uduku, aimed at helping expand Docomomo’s activities beyond its current predominantly Northern Hemisphere focus.
Thursday 22 January
Masterclass by Prof. Frederico de Holanda: ‘Brasilia, Modern City/Eternal City’
Hunter Lecture Theatre, Room O.17, Edinburgh College of Art; 17.30 to 20.30
Friday 23 January
Common Room, University of Edinburgh Architecture, 20 Chambers Street, Edinburgh (NB: titles are provisional)
• Prof. Paul Jenkins, Heriot-Watt University/ECA: Introductory/overview paper: ‘Brazil and Lusophone Africa: the contextual relevance of modernism for the future’
• Dr Soledad Garcia, Edinburgh College of Art: ‘Urban transformations in the River Plate Delta: Modernism and the challenges of globalization’
• Dr Stephen Cairns, University of Edinburgh: ‘Big cities, little narratives: Jakarta and the unbounded city’
• Coffee break
• Dr Ola Uduku, ECA: ‘Modernist built heritage and contemporary challenges in W and S Africa’
• Dr Richard Williams, University of Edinburgh: ‘Sexuality, Modernism, and Architecture: the case of Brazil’
• Lunch break
• Prof Frederico Holanda: ‘Metropolitan Brasilia: metropolitan aspects of the capital and the Brazilian city in general’
• Concluding discussion and launch of Docomomo South Group: Chair: Ola Uduku
• Selection of MoMo Urbanism films on Africa and South America
22 January Masterclass:
Tickets should be pre-booked through Mrs. Moira Seftor, Administrator of ECA School of Architecture, 0131-221-6072, firstname.lastname@example.org : £20 for general public, £7.50 for students, £5 for ECA students, free for Conservation students. Location: Hunter Lecture Theatre, ECA, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh.
23 January session:
Admission free of charge; no need to pre-book. Location: Common Room, University of Edinburgh Architecture, 20 Chambers St, Edinburgh. (directions from Chambers St main entrance: at back of entrance hall turn right; Common Room is on right side of corridor beyond this).
Edinburgh Talks + Events : Archive 2005 – 06
Comments / photos for the Symposium Edinburgh page welcome
Edinburgh Symposium : page
Website: Visit Edinburgh