Craigentinny Marbles, Mausoleum in Edinburgh by David Rhind, Architect, Sculptor

Craigentinny Marbles Edinburgh : Architecture

Scottish Mausoleum : Portobello Road Structure made of stone

post updated 9 January 2022 ;

Craigentinny Marbles

Mausoleum / Graves

Location: Craigentinny Crescent, off Portobello Road, Edinburgh, Scotland

1856 by David Rhind, architect
1867 by Alfred Gatley, sculptor

Description:

Large mausoleum structure with bas-relief marble sculptures. The name derives from the two sculptured marble panels depicting Biblical scenes, ‘The Overthrow of Pharaoh’ and ‘The Song of Miriam’.

The Craigentinny Marbles were described at time of installation as: ‘the most remarkable pieces of sculpture executed during this century’ and ‘attracted artists from all parts to view them’.

The monument commemorates book collector William Henry Miller (1788 – 1848), MP for Newcastle-under-Lyne, who owned an estate in Craigentinny.

New photos added 28th October 2015:

Craigentinny Marbles Edinburgh Mausoleum

Mausoleum in Edinburgh by David Rhind - Craigentinny Marbles

Craigentinny Marbles Edinburgh

Craigentinny Mausoleum in by David Rhind

Edinburgh Mausoleum Craigentinny Marbles

Edinburgh Mausoleum by David Rhind: Craigentinny Marbles

We hope to post some sunnier pictures soon of this imposing Scottish mausoleum on Portobello Road!

St Triduanas Chapel – historic structure in Craigentinny

Also by David Rhind: The Dome, on the south side of George Street in Edinburgh New Town

Edinburgh Properties

Significant Edinburgh Property – Selection:

Jenners

Scottish Parliament

Missoni Hotel Edinburgh

Architecture in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Walking Tours : Architecture Walking Tours

Historic Edinburgh Architecture:

Duguld Stewart Monument, Calton Hill, New Town
Duguld Stewart Monument
photo © Adrian Welch

Scottish National Monument, Calton Hill, New Town
Scottish National Monument
photograph © Adrian Welch

Nelson’s Monument, Calton Hill, New Town
Nelson's Monument
image © Adrian Welch

Burns Monument, Calton Hill, New Town
Burns Monument
photograph © Adrian Welch

Tron Kirk, High Street, Old Town
Tron Kirk Edinburgh
photo © Adrian Welch

West Register House, New Town
West Register House
image © Adrian Welch

Charlotte Square, New Town
Charlotte Square
photograph © Adrian Welch

St Andrews & St Georges Church, 13 George Street, New Town
St Andrew’s and St George’s West Church serves Edinburgh’s New Town. It is a congregation of the Church of Scotland. The parish today constitutes the whole of the First New Town of Edinburgh and a small part of the early-19th-century Second New Town of Edinburgh.

St Mary’s Cathedral, 61 York Place, New Town
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, also known as St Mary’s Metropolitan Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic church. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh and the mother church of Scots Catholicism.

Comments / photos for the Craigentinny Marbles Edinburgh Architecture by David Rhind architect and Alfred Gatley sculptor page welcome