Burtons Edinburgh, Scottish Shop, Building, Photo, Architect
Burtons Edinburgh : Store
Princes Street Store by Sir John Burnet, New Town, Scotland
Burtons Store Edinburgh
Forsyth’s Department Store – latterly Burtons Shop, Princes St, Scotland
Sir John James Burnet 1906-07
Forsyth’s was constructed as Scotland’s first steel framed building, built as a full-height department store – like nearby Jenners, for R.W. Forsyth
£26m purchase by BHs owner Sir Philip Green: additional two floors of shopping with restaurant on the roof.
Reported to be on market with ideas for store, hotel and rooftop restaurant mooted Apr 2006
Owners Arcadia are possibly moving west along Princes Street in 2008
Store Outlets: Burton, Top Man, Top Shop, Principles, Wallis, Dorothy Perkins
Princes Street – Shops / Buildings
John James Burnet 1857-1938
Born in Glasgow, JJ Burnet studied at the Institute des Beaux Arts, Paris.
Sir John James Burnet was also responsible for the B listed Finlaystone House in Renfrewshire, Scotland. The original 14thc Finlaystone House was extended in 1900 by Sir John James Burnet. George Jardine Kidston bought the building in 1897, engaged John James Burnet, a leading Glasgow commercial architect.
A key feature of JJ Burnet’s interior at Finlaystone House is a pair of pink marble pillars with a mythological beast at their base. This was John James Burnet’s favourite way of ending a stair rail.The drawing room with its white marble fireplace and bow window overlooking the River Clyde, is one of the finest of Burnet’s interiors.
JJ Burnet: Buildings in Scotland:-
Burtons Store, Edinburgh 1906-07
The Athenaeum, Glasgow 1886
Finlaystone House, Renfrewshire 1900
Trustee Savings Bank, Ingram Street / Glassford Street, Glasgow 1894-1900
Charing Cross Mansions 2-30 St George’s Rd, Charing Cross, Glasgow 1889-91
Barony Hall, High Street / 1 Castle Street, Glasgow 1886-9; conversion 1990 J J Burnet & J A Campbell; conversion David Leslie – Victorian Church in Gothic Revival style now used as a ceremonial / graduation hall for the University of Strathclyde. The Barony Hall interior has original furnishings.
Also by Sir John Burnet is St. Andrew’s House with Thomas Tait
Adjacent building to the west is by 3d Architects: H&M
photograph © Adrian Welch
photo © Adrian Welch
Edinburgh Tours : Architecture Walking Tours
Comments / photos for the Burtons Edinburgh Store page welcome:
Burtons Edinburgh Building : page