Belford Road Church Photo, Architect, Date, George Washington Browne Building Address, History
Belford Road Church Building
Edinburgh New Town Church, Scotland design by architect George Washington Browne, United Kingdom
post updated 28 October 2023
Belford Road Church Architecture
Location: Drumsheugh Toll, 3 Belford Road, EH4 3BL, Scotland, UK
Date built: 1881
Architect: George Washington Browne
Architectural style: Free Tudor style
This property was designed as studio house for Martin Hardie.
The Edinburgh Society of Musicians occupies top floor of Drumsheugh Toll.
An architectural description online soon – property details are very welcome please.
Drumsheugh Baths Club
Sir George Washington Browne
Sir George Washington Browne FRIBA PPRSA (1853 – 1939) was a Scottish architect. He was born in Glasgow, and trained there and in London.
He spent most of his career in Edinburgh, although his work can be found throughout Scotland and beyond. He was involved in nearly 300 projects, including many public and commercial buildings.
One of his most notable buildings is Edinburgh’s Central Library, and he became recognised as an authority on library planning and design. He came to national attention after winning a competition to design a bridge over the River Thames in London, although this was never realised.
He was the first architect to be elected as President of the Royal Scottish Academy. He also served as President of the Edinburgh Architectural Association, and was instrumental in setting up the Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland.
Northwest Edinburgh Building Designs
Contemporary Scottish Capital Property Designs – recent architectural selection below:
St Marys Cathedral by architect George Gilbert Scott
building image © Adrian Welch
St Mary’s Cathedral
property picture from the architect
Scottish Capital Building Designs
Scottish Capital Property Designs – recent architectural selection below:
St Andrew’s House
building photo © Adrian Welch
Buildings / photos for the Belford Road Architecture at Drumsheugh Toll, EH4, built in 1881 by George Washington Browne architect in southeast Scotland, United Kingdom, page welcome.