Church of the Sacred Heart Edinburgh, Lauriston hall and presbytery architect, Scottish classical building date

Church of the Sacred Heart Edinburgh

Religious building in Lauriston, Lothian, South East Scotland design by Archibald Macpherson Architect

post updated 7 November 2023

Church of the Sacred Heart – Lauriston Hall

This Category B listed group comprises:

The Church of the Sacred Heart
(Hall & Presbytery – 26 Lauriston St)

and

Lauriston Hall
(28-32 Lauriston St), listed 1974.

Date built: 1909

Architect: Archibald Macpherson

Asymmetrical 3-storey, six-bay Classical palazzo hall and presbytery. Pinkish sandstone ashlar.

Buildings nearby include Evolution House on Westport – in 2006 Edinburgh College of Art took space in this building
Evolution House near Church of the Sacred Heart, Lauriston Hall, Edinburgh
image © Adrian Welch

Archibald Macpherson Architect oof Church of the Sacred Heart

Scottish Architect Archibald Macpherson

1851 – 1927

Archibald Macpherson was born a Roman Catholic in 1851. He was educated at ‘Dr Robertson’s Academy’ and Edinburgh Royal High School.

He was articled to John Paterson in 1866, remaining as assistant until 1873. He then studied at the School of Design and Royal Institution.

Whilst there he won a prize for a geometrical drawing of Grecian architecture in 1868-69, and made further measured drawings of abbeys in the Scottish Borders. In 1873 he moved to Robert Rowand Anderson’s office as assistant, later becoming chief assistant and prospective partner.

However incompatibility resulted in Macpherson returning to Paterson’s architectural practice, also as prospective partner in 1876.

At that date he was living at 2 Sciennes Hill Place and the architecture practice was based at 21 St Andrew Square.

He took over this Edinburgh design practice when Paterson died in July 1877, completing Paterson’s jobs until 1879 or 1880. At that time he moved to 37 George Street to commence practice on his own. At about that time he made architectural study tours to Ireland, Normandy and northern Italy, later extending his travels to Spain and Germany.
source: www.scottisharchitects.org.uk

Location: Edinburgh, Midlothian, southeast Scotland, United Kingdom

Scottish Capital Building Designs

Contemporary Scottish Capital Property Designs – recent architectural selection below:

Other buildings + designs close by:

Westport House
Westport House
picture from the architect

Saltire Court
Saltire Court
picture © Adrian Welch

The Exchange Edinburgh

Standard Life

Edinburgh Filmhouse

Edinburgh Church Building Designs

Duddingston Kirk
Duddingston Kirk

The Chapel of Saint Albert the Great, George Square
Design: Simpson and Brown, Architects
Chapel of Saint Albert the Great

Granton United Church, north Edinburgh
Design: LeeBoyd Architects
Granton United Church

St Mary’s Cathedral
St Marys Cathedral

St Giles Cathedral
St Giles Cathedral

Edinburgh Church

St Andrews & St Georges Church
St Andrews & St Georges Church
image © Adrian Welch

Edinburgh Architecture Designs

Major Edinburgh Architecture Designs – key selection of Scottish capital buildings below:

Jenners

Edinburgh Castle

Scottish Parliament, Royal Mile / Canongate

Hotel Missoni, Royal Mile

RBS Gogarburn, Gogar, west of the city

Comments / photos for the Church of the Sacred Heart Edinburgh Architecture design by Archibald Macpherson Architect in south east Scotland, United Kingdom, page welcome