Parliament House Edinburgh Courts Photos, Scottish National Law Library Architecture, Faculty of Advocates Images
Parliament House Edinburgh : Scottish Supreme Court
Edinburgh Courts – Old Town buildings, Scotland
post updated 4 November 2023
Location: behind St Giles Kirk, centre of Old Town
Numerous courts are located here such as the Court of Session and the Court of Criminal Appeal; also National Law Library and Faculty of Advocates.
Parliament House (Scottish Gaelic: Taigh na Pàrlamaid) is located in the heart of the Old Town, on the south side of the Royal Mile. It is a complex of several buildings housing the Supreme Courts of Scotland.
The oldest part of the complex was home to the Parliament of Scotland from 1639 to 1707. This Old Town property is the world’s first purpose-built parliament building. The historic property is located just off the High Street, beside St Giles’ Cathedral.
Parliament House is also the headquarters of the Faculty of Advocates, the Society of Writers to His Majesty’s Signet, and the Society of Solicitors in the Supreme Courts of Scotland.
Other buildings in the complex include the Advocates Library and the Signet Library. The entire complex of properties has the legal status of a Category A Listed building.
Context to this Historic Old Town Building:
New County Hall and Advocates’ Library – building sited off the Royal Mile (officially the ‘High Street’):
image © Adrian Welch
New County Hall
Scottish Supreme Court – News Update:
£130m redevelopment – Parliament House project off Royal Mile
Announced 1999, not commenced at time of writing in 2007.
Parliament House was the home of the Scottish Parliament until 1707:
Scottish Supreme Court context – Old Scottish Parliament
Further architectural design details are warmly welcomed for inclusion on this website please.
Edinburgh Court: Royal Mile building photos © Adrian Welch 2005
Law Court Buildings : Designs from around the globe
Scottish Parliament, south side of the Royal Mile, Holyrood / Canongate, Old Town
Design: EMBT/RMJM joint venture, lead architect was originally Enric Miralles from Barcelona
Scottish Poetry Library, off the south side of the Royal Mile, in the heart of Canongate, Old Town
Design: Malcolm Fraser Architects
Scottish Poetry Library
New College building photo © Adrian Welch
Edinburgh Walking Tours – Scottish capital city walks by e-architect guides focused on both old and new architecture designs.
Comments / photos for the Parliament House Edinburgh Building – Historic Scottish Capital Architecture page welcome