Bank of Scotland Edinburgh, BoS Office, HQ, Location, Scottish Architecture, Photo
Bank of Scotland, Edinburgh : BoS
38-39 St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh New Town Offices, Scotland
Bank of Scotland Edinburgh
The Bank of Scotland HQ, east side of St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh
BoS Edinburgh: headquarters
Date built: 1851-52
Architect: David Bryce
Address: 38-39 St Andrew’s Square
Branch of the Bank of Scotland (BoS), former British Linen Bank. The building facade contains Corinthian columns supporting statues by sculptor A H Ritchie.
Like the adjacent Royal Bank of Scotland headquarters the grand, axial banking hall is worth a visit.
Central to St Andrew Square is the Melville Monument atop which is the stone statue of Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville.
Bank of Scotland HQ, The Mound, Edinburgh
Following the merger of the Halifax Building Society and the Bank of Scotland Malcolm Frasrr Architects (MFA) has been appointed for a major refurbishment of the Bank of Scotland Headquarters in Edinburgh.
St Andrew Square was one of the first parts of the New Town to be completed, and in the 1780’s it was one of the most fashionable addresses in the city. In James Craig’s plan of 1768 it was designed to mirror what became Charlotte Square.
One of the most extravagant buildings in the square is No. 38-39 designed by architect David Bryce for the British Linen Bank in 1851-52.
The building has a Roman facade and Corinthian columns topped with statues.
The statues are the work of artist Handyside Ritchie, and represent navigation, commerce, manufacture, art, science and agriculture.
Bryce got the commission to design the bank in a slightly devious way. He went behind the back of rival architects Peddie & Kinnear , and got the support of the bank’s governor the Earl of Dalhousie.
Although there is nor formal record, it seems that a deal was reached. Bryce designed the bank’s head office, while Peddie and Kinnear took charge of the provincial branches. The British Linen Bank became part of BoS.
Another Bank of Scotland Edinburgh development
Princes Exchange, Tollcross, Edinburgh for the Bank of Scotland – BOS & the Teesland Group.
Bank of Scotland Architect : David Bryce
The new Royal Bank of Scotland headquarters at Gogarbank
picture © webbaviation
HBoS Edinburgh : BCO Award winner 2007
Buildings close by:
photo © Adrian Welch
photo © Adrian Welch
Bryce was born in Edinburgh, where his father was a successful builder. He was educated at the Royal High School and joined the office of the architect William Burn in 1825. By 1841, Bryce had risen to be Burn’s partner. Burn and Bryce formally dissolved their partnership in 1845. In 1835 he was elected an associate of the Royal Scottish Academy, and in the following year became an academician. Bryce worked in all styles, and at first chiefly in the so-called Palladian and Italian Renaissance, but he soon devoted himself more exclusively to the Gothic, particularly that variety of it known as Scottish Baronial, of which he became the most distinguished and the ablest exponent.
Buildings / photos for the St Andrew Square Architecture – BoS Offices at 38-39 St Andrew’s Square page welcome
Bank of Scotland Edinburgh – page
Website: Visit Edinburgh