St Andrew Square Building, Image, Architect, News, Project, Photo, Hotel, Plans
42 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh
Former Royal Bank of Scotland offices, New Town, Scotland
42 St Andrew Square Edinburgh
Architects: Arthur Davis (London) / Leslie Grahame-Thomson (Edinburgh)
No. 42 To Let
Ukio Bankas Investment Group to try and rent out former RBS headquarters at 42 St Andrew Square and its old offices at 38-52 West Register Street as offices while he waits for planning permission to transform them. Purchased by the Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov for around £20m in 2007 the intention is for a mix of hotel and retail. Certainly a hotel makes sense for the imposing No.42.
A spokesman stated “We are working with top hotel brands, architects and consultants and all involved are determined to deliver a project which will maintain the strategic importance of 42 St Andrew Square. This is a massive project for us and we want to ensure we get it right.”
Former RBS HQ prior to completion of Gogarburn. Severe symmetrical neoclassical building built of Darney stone from Northumbria. At 90 ft high its bold ashlar form dominates the southeastern corner of St Andrew Square.
Unlike the beautiful Bryce facade next door No.42’s austere and dominant facade in many ways symbolises ‘banking’. Arthur Davis worked for London architects Mewes & Davis and had designed for the Westminster Bank their HQ and Threadneedle St Branch (winner of the RIBA Medal for that year) both in London.
The building immediately to the north is the Bank of Scotland, the former British Linen Bank, set on the street edge, by David Bryce.
No. 36 St Andrew Square is an RBS branch office. The Royal Bank of Scotland acquired Dundas Mansion – 36 St Andrew Square – in 1825 for use as their headquarters, and later extended to the rear of the building.
To the north of Dundas Mansion is 35 St Andrew Square, one of the oldest buildings in the New Town, being refurbished by Michael Laird Architects in 2006, completing early 2007
To the north of this building is Harvey Nichols
Central to St Andrew Square is the Melville Monument atop which is the stone statue of Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville.
The Edinburgh Grand – St Andrew Square Development
image from developer
The Edinburgh Grand at St Andrew Square
The Royal Bank of Scotland was set up by Royal Charter in 1727, unlike the older Bank of Scotland which was established by an Act of the Scottish Parliament (before the Act of Union) in 1695.
St Andrew Square : buildings
photograph © Adrian Welch
photo © Adrian Welch
photo © Adrian Welch
Comments / photos for the St Andrew Square Architecture page welcome